Friday 2 March 2012

7 Spa Etiquette for Filipinos

I usually go for a massage to relax and to pamper myself. But there are instances that ruin my mood and which I consider unprofessional behavior both from other guests and spa attendants.

 1. Whisper or not talk at all. Spa is the antonym of bars. The moment you enter the door to a spa, better turn down the speaker's volume. Everything you say are heard by most guests. All spas are not sound proof. Also, if you want to discuss things with your companion, whisper. A simple sneeze can be heard from one room to another. Spa attendants are guilty of this as well. Many attendants think they are in their own living room, watching a live Manny Pacquiao bout. A door or a curtain is not a wall that would bounce back your voice.

 2. Turn off or put in silent mode your mobile phone -- never forget. What's urgent for you is not urgent for other guests. Those seconds that your mobile phone keeps ringing causes (and is equivalent to) 10 minutes of irritability to other guests. We're all in the spa to relax and be calmed even for an hour. Be considerate.

3. Shave. I prefer to shave my underarm and legs (especially if you want a foot spa/massage) whenever I visit a spa. I once went out with an officemate for a foot massage. Saw her legs unshaved. It must be ok with her but not for me (and maybe for the attendant as well). Gross for me.

4. Wait for your turn. There are guests who would just get in and talk to the receptionist while other guests is still paying or asking some concerns. I mean, unless your blind, haven't you heard of "wait for your turn"? The reason why most spa lobbies have chairs is for you sit first, relax, let the first guest finish her/his transactions, then you will be attended. You don't need to graduate in expensive schools to know that, do you?

5. Masseur/masseuse must be neat and clean all the time. I mean brush and gargle after eating, wear clean clothes, and wash hands. Guests can smell you, beleive me. I once had a masseuse who smells. I told her to refrain for a moment. I stood up and wrapped myself with a towel, called the manager and told her my concern in a polite (whispering) way. I was given a new masseuse. I knew that the manager must have told her about my concern and the latter would have been offended (that's understandable. Filipinos are not used to frankness) and remembered me. I never went back to that place. Besides I did not like the service nor the facilities. This is what I get for availing a P280 massage promo.

6. Cover your mouth if you sneeze or cough. I mean, please, how many times do we have to learn about this? Did you know that in a closed room, like those in spas, virus travel very fast and can affect other guests? I mean how would you feel if somebody with TB from the other room coughs without covering his/her mouth? Or your attendant has cough and keeps on coughing without covering her/his mouth while doing a massage on you? Whether we are sick or not, in a spa or not, let's be disciplined to cover our mouths. It only takes seconds to do it. But it is costly to acquire illnesses from airborne viruses.

7. Clean your spa EVERYDAY. Not because rooms are dimly, guests cannot tell if you're using dirty towel, pillows, beds. 80% of your guests have tried other spas in the past. We know. This will affect your marketability. Google your spa's name on the net and know what people are saying about you. There are lots of spa's nowadays. The only thing that will surely set you apart is how clean your place is even after a year.


No comments:

Post a Comment